Over the weekend Nairobi hosted the inaugural TikTok creator awards, which were designed to honor TikTokers from sub-Saharan Africa.
According to list released by TikTok, no ugandan content creator made it on the winners or losers list.
TikTok selected the candidates in honor of the “immense talent and creativity they brought to the platform in the past year”.
Many of the African nominees for TikTokers, or creators as they are known on the app, create short, vertical films in which they demonstrate their dancing prowess, beauty advice, and culinary prowess.
Boniswa Sidwaba, who oversees content programming for TikTok in sub-Saharan Africa, said: “With these inaugural awards, TikTok aims to give creators in sub-Saharan Africa the recognition they deserve and to encourage them to tell the African story while spreading joy at all times.”
The four regions of West Africa, Southern Africa, East Africa, and Sub-Saharan Africa were represented by the champions and runner-ups.
- West Africa – Ifeoma Efiokwu / @e4ma from Nigeria
- Southern Africa – Melissa / @Pilot_onthegram from South Africa
- East Africa – Natasha Gwal / @natasha_gwal from Kenya
- Sub-Saharan Africa – Dennis Ombachi / @theroamingchef from Kenya
- West Africa – Maduakor Chisom Faustina / @berby_picxy from Nigeria
- Southern Africa – Motho Wa Ernest / @.lindokuhle_khoza from South Africa
- East Africa – Niita Abdiqathar / @beautyby.nita from Kenya
- Sub-Saharan Africa – Charity Ezekie / @charityekezie from Nigeria